- Recruitment / Minimum Requirements
Recruitment / Minimum Requirements
Open positions are posted under the Employment section of the City's website.
Minimum Qualifications to Apply
In order to apply and be considered for employment as a Firefighter with the Panama City Fire Department, all applicants must meet the minimum requirements below:
- Possess a valid Driver's License
- Applicants must be insurable by the City's insurance carrier
- Be at least 18 years of age and have a minimum of a High School Diploma or a valid G.E.D.
- Must Possess a valid State of Florida Firefighter II Certificate of Compliance as outlined in Florida Statutes Chapter 633.35 or be currently enrolled in a State of Florida Firefighter Minimum Standards Academy.
- OUT OF STATE CERTIFICATIONS - If your Certificate of Compliance is with another State and not from the State of Florida, Click Here to see what steps you need to take to become Certified in the State of Florida prior to applying for a position.
- Neither have been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor directly related to the position of employment sought, nor have pled nolo contendere to any charge of a felony. (See Florida Statutes Chapter 633.34 for details).
- Submit to and successfully complete a Physical Agility Test which includes several Firefighter Job Related Activities
- Participate in a Preliminary Interview & Skills and Knowledge process conducted by an Interview Board composed of various ranks from the Panama City Fire Department.
Subsequent to successful completion of the Agility Test and Preliminary Committee Interview, prospective employees will be interviewed by members of the Command Staff. They will make hiring recommendations to the Fire Chief following this final interview. Following the interview process and prior to confirmation of employment, the prospective employee must submit to a Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation which includes a Drug / Alcohol Screening process.
The City of Panama City is a Drug Free Workplace. Applicants receiving an offer for employment must submit to a Post Offer / Pre-Employment Drug and Alcohol Screening Process. Failure to submit to or having a "Positive and Confirmed" result on a Pre-Employment Screening Process will result in the applicant being ineligible for employment with the City of Panama City. Additionally, All Certified Firefighters employed by the Panama City Fire Department are subject to subsequent Drug and Alcohol Screening in accordance with City and Fire Department Policies. This includes Pre-Employment, Post Accident / Injury, Random and Reasonable Suspicion Drug and Alcohol Screening.
New Hire Agility Testing Information
Once you have completed the application process, you need to review and prepare for the agility test. Below are documents and videos of what to expect and how to properly prepare for the test.
Panama City Fire Department Physical Performance Evaluation
Step by Step Agility Test Videos
If you are wanting to learn more about our department and what we do on a daily basis, request to conduct a ride-a-long with fire crews.
Request a Ride-Along or call (850) 872-3059 for additional information.